[Openstack] [trove] Long lived instances - what about updates?

Mark Kirkwood mark.kirkwood at catalyst.net.nz
Fri Feb 13 03:52:24 UTC 2015

I was discussing this with some workmates today, and figured it was
worth asking about.

Suppose I have a potentially long lived (mysql) db instance. Now given
that the only access to it (by default anyway) is port 3306, then I
cannot apply system updates directly.

Now I *could* setup the guest image so it automatically installs them
(is this a good idea, or even sensible)? Otherwise there seems to be no
method to get an updated mysql (not to mention os, kernel etc)...short of:

- backup db
- destroy instance
- create new one using updated guest image
- restore backup

This seems a very heavyweight approach.

...or am I missing something ...(again)!

Cheers

Mark