[Openstack] Namespaces and network

Li, Chen chen.li at intel.com
Thu Feb 12 06:08:37 UTC 2015

Hi,

From my understanding:

1.       Namespace is created by neutron-dhcp-agent.

You can run neutron-dhcp-agent anywhere you want.

It is common to run neutron-dhcp-agent on control node, but it is not a “MUST” demand.

        I won’t say the network “is created in Compute node ”, a network is created in neutron, it related information stored in database.
        After an instance start, it is neutron’s job to make sure the instance is working under a certain network.
        If you don’t start any instance, nothing real would happen in compute node.

2.       Basically , br-ex is used for L3.

If you don’t use floating IP, br-ex can be removed.

3.       Control node is not connected to VM network, dnsmasq (DHCP server) started by dhcp-agent connect to VM network, so VM can get IP address.

Thanks.
-chen