[Openstack] [SWIFT] Bad replication performance after adding new drives

Robert van Leeuwen Robert.vanLeeuwen at spilgames.com
Tue Feb 10 10:17:23 UTC 2015

> I have a swift cluster with 7 storagenodes. The cluster has about 360 million objects with an average size of 170kB.
> I added 2 new harddrives to my cluster and now it takes weeks for one replication round:
> Is this a normal behavior?

> Hardware:
> DELL PowerEdge R720xd
> 32 GB RAM
> Harddisks 3TB/4TB SATA

I created a blogpost about this a while ago when we hit performance issues with lots of small files with a few things you can look at and tune:
http://engineering.spilgames.com/openstack-swift-lots-small-files/

As a small update on the blogpost above:
We removed all config 1.X nodes to nodes with config 2.0.
We stopped using flashcache, since it was a bit of a pain and without it is also fine for us.
As a result a full sync when adding an empty new node is now down to 1-2 days while this used to be 2+ weeks.

Cheers,
Robert van Leeuwen