[Openstack] Running vmdks on openstack

Tyler Couto tcouto at certain.com
Tue Dec 29 21:31:28 UTC 2015

Thanks Gary and Tzach.

>>From: Gary Kotton <gkotton at vmware.com<mailto:gkotton at vmware.com>>
>>
>>Hi,
>>You will see artifacts on the VC when the cinder volume is attached to the instance.
What is the VC?

>>From: Tzach Shefi <tshefi at redhat.com<mailto:tshefi at redhat.com>>
>>
>>Instance bootedup fine, and it only took me a few days for figure out up to here..
>>Let me know which vmdk you tried I can try it on my setup.
I’m trying to migrate a VM that is in use by my company, so unfortunately I can’t send it over. You know, company privacy and whatnot.

Tyler

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 7:11 PM, Tyler Couto <tcouto at certain.com<mailto:tcouto at certain.com>> wrote:
Hi all,

I¹m having trouble running my vmdks on kvm in openstack. It seems that KVM
cannot find the boot partition. I¹ll transcribe some errors from the
console:

Scanning logical volumes
  Reading all physical volumes. This may take a whileŠ
  No volume groups found
Activating logical volumes
  Volume group ³VolGroup00² not found

I¹m starting from a flat vmdk that I downloaded from the on esx web UI.
I¹ve tried the following:
- booting flat-vmdk from a glance image
- booting flat-vmdk from a volume
- converting to qcow2 (qemu-img convert) and booting from glance image
- removing all network related info and booting resulting flat-vmdk / qcow2

I always end up with the errors above.
Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,
Tyler