[Openstack] Running vmdks on openstack

Tzach Shefi tshefi at redhat.com
Tue Dec 29 10:14:49 UTC 2015

Hi Tylor,

I just started testing openstack+vmware,Kilo release and vcenter 5.5
Here is what I did to bootup a vmdk based instance:

   - Install Kilo basic all in one system.

   - Install a single esxi, upload vcenter ova 5.5.

          Enable ssh access to esxi.

   - On vnc ports on esxi's firewall:

https://github.com/openstack-vmwareapi-team/Tools
Update firewall rule for vnc:
A. Firewall show current rules:
esxcli network firewall ruleset list

   1. Copy zip update to vmfs datastore.
   2. Change vib acceptance level partent:  # esxcli software acceptance
   set --level=CommunitySupported
   3. #esxcli software vib install -d
   “/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/openstackvncfirewall.zip“

   - Create a port group called: br100 on vswitch  (started with a simple
   Nova network)
   - Update nova.conf to point to vcenter:

    volume_driver=cinder.volume.drivers.vmware.vmdk.VMwareVcVmdkDriver
    vmware_host_ip=x.y.z.w (vcenter's IP)
    vmware_host_username=root   (needs proper permissions, i just gave it
root/full)
    vmware_host_password= (vcenter user's password)
    vmware_volume_folder=cinder-volumes

Restart nova service.

   - Download a Cirros image in my case cirros-0.3.4-x86_64-disk.img

   - Convert to vmdk:

           #qemu-img convert -f qcow2 cirros-0.3.4-x86_64-disk.img -O vmdk
cirros-0.3.4-x86_64-disk.vmdk

   - Upload to Glance, choose vmware_adaptor -> lsiLogic   else you may not
   be able to add/mount additional disks on the fly.

            #glance image-create --name cirros_lsilogic.vmdk
--container-format bare --disk-format vmdk --property
vmware_disktype="sparse" --property vmware_adaptertype="lsiLogic" --file
cirros-0.3.4-x86_64-disk.vmdk

   - Boot instance (admit from Horizon:)  based on the image created
   before.

Instance bootedup fine, and it only took me a few days for figure out up to
here..
Let me know which vmdk you tried I can try it on my setup.

So my next issue is getting Cinder VMDK volumes to work.
Update cinder.conf:
    volume_driver=cinder.volume.drivers.vmware.vmdk.VMwareVcVmdkDriver
    vmware_host_ip=x.y.z.w
    vmware_host_username=root
    vmware_host_password=.......
    vmware_volume_folder=cinder-volumes
Restart cinder  (didn't help rebooting fixed)
Create cinder-volume folder under vcenter.
Now this is where I'm stuck, I try to create a cinder volume then Cinder
list shows new volume..
$ cinder type-create thick_volume
$ cinder type-key thick_volume set vmware:vmdk_type=thick
$ cinder create --volume-type thick_volume --display-name volume1 1

# cinder list    (looks ok -available ..)
+--------------------------------------+-----------+--------------+------+--------------+----------+-------------+
|                  ID                  |   Status  | Display Name | Size |
Volume Type  | Bootable | Attached to |
+--------------------------------------+-----------+--------------+------+--------------+----------+-------------+
| 35365cbf-edbc-40e7-97be-82faff37acee | available |   volume2    |  1   |
thick_volume |  false   |             |
| b27ab736-d396-4a0a-8ef8-eda9adca1d75 | available |     volz     |  1   |
thick_volume |  false   |             |
+--------------------------------------+-----------+--------------+------+--------------+----------+-------------+

But well unsurprisingly I don't see any of them created under vcenter's
side.

They should showup as disks which are connected to vm's with names starting
with volume-...
Yet nothing happens, messing about looking at logs now.

Regards,
Tzach.

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 7:11 PM, Tyler Couto <tcouto at certain.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I¹m having trouble running my vmdks on kvm in openstack. It seems that KVM
> cannot find the boot partition. I¹ll transcribe some errors from the
> console:
>
> Scanning logical volumes
>   Reading all physical volumes. This may take a whileŠ
>   No volume groups found
> Activating logical volumes
>   Volume group ³VolGroup00² not found
>
> I¹m starting from a flat vmdk that I downloaded from the on esx web UI.
> I¹ve tried the following:
> - booting flat-vmdk from a glance image
> - booting flat-vmdk from a volume
> - converting to qcow2 (qemu-img convert) and booting from glance image
> - removing all network related info and booting resulting flat-vmdk / qcow2
>
> I always end up with the errors above.
> Can anyone help me with this?
>
> Thanks,
> Tyler

*Tzach Shefi*
Quality Engineer, Redhat OSP
+972-54-4701080 <callto:+972-52-4534729>