[Openstack] Moving from vSphere to openstack

Tyler Couto tcouto at certain.com
Wed Dec 16 00:15:23 UTC 2015

Hi all,

We are moving from vsphere to openstack. Currently I¹m trying to figure
out the easiest way to move my vmdk files over. They are already
integrated directly into our internal network.

Option 1:
Use provider networks (ie.
http://docs.openstack.org/networking-guide/scenario_provider_ovs.html) for
VMs with static ip addressing. This way I think I should be able to move
the instances directly over, since they already have IP and MAC info.

Option2:
Use legacy (or DVR) architecture (ie.
http://docs.openstack.org/networking-guide/scenario_legacy_ovs.html),
convert vmdks to qcow2s (?), remove ip, mac, uuid, other unique info,
install acpi, install cloud-init, and boot.

I would also like to avoid using the provider networks scenario with dhcp,
because I want IPs to be consistent.

Questions:
Is it possible to use the provider network with static addressing?
Is there a way to programatically modify images (vmdk or qcow2) with the
steps described in number 2 above?

Thanks,
Tyler

The opinions expressed herein are expressly my own and not necessarily the
opinions of Certain, Inc.