[Openstack] [openstack-dev] [Magnum] Obtain the objects from the bay endpoint

Vilobh Meshram vilobhmeshram.openstack at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 03:47:04 UTC 2015

Hi All,

As discussed in today's Magnum weekly meeting I had shown interest to work
on [1].

Problem :-

Currently objects (pod/rc/service) are read from the database. In order for
native clients to work, they must be read from the ReST bay endpoint. To
execute native clients, we must have one truth of the state of the system,
not two as in its current state of art.

sdake and I discussed about it on IRC and we plan to propose following
solution :-

Approach to solve the problem :-
A]  READ path needs to be changed :

1. For python clients :-

python-magnum client->rest api->conductor->rest-endpoint-k8s-api handler

In its present state of art this is python-magnum client->rest api->db
2. For native clients :-

native client->rest-endpoint-k8s-api

B] WRITE operations need to happen via the rest endpoint instead of the
conductor.

C] Another requirement that needs to be satisfied is that data returned by
magnum should be the same whether its created by native client or
python-magnum client.

The fix will make sure all of the above conditions are met.

Need your input on the proposed approach.

-Vilobh

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/magnum/+spec/objects-from-bay