[Openstack] possible to PXE-boot an instance from another instance?

Sam Stoelinga sammiestoel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 08:13:09 UTC 2015

Hi Chris,

I haven't tested whether it works but theoretically it should be possible
imo. I don't see why you would want to do this though, but would like to
understand your reasons. Why not just create OpenStack images and let
OpenStack take care?

Some stuff that you need to care off if you would use PXE server in VM and
boot other VMs via PXE:

   - ARP spoofing protection. Neutron by default(maybe not all drivers) has
   ARP spoofing protection, you will have to either make sure that your PXE
   server assigns the IP via DHCP that neutron has assigned to the instance.
   Alternatively you can disable ARP spoofing for a specific neutron port with
   `neutron port-update $port_id --allowed_address_pairs list=true type=dict
   ip_address=0.0.0.0/0`
   - Enabling cloud-init in your images that you're booting via PXE server.
   (May be optional but recommended)

Regards,
Sam Stoelinga