[Openstack] Image snapshot creation

Delatte, Craig craig.delatte at twcable.com
Tue Apr 28 12:48:39 UTC 2015

It should be written to /var/lib/nova/instances/snapshots

Craig DeLatte
OpenStack DevOps
Time Warner Cable
704-731-3356
610-306-4816

From: Leslie-Alexandre DENIS <contact at ladenis.fr<mailto:contact at ladenis.fr>>
Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 at 6:24 AM
To: "openstack at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack at lists.openstack.org>" <openstack at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack at lists.openstack.org>>
Subject: Re: [Openstack] Image snapshot creation

Hello,

For the first point, yes, you need the free space disk necessary to snapshot on the compute node. The process of snapshotting is in fact a qemu-img creation, you can easily see the process details on the compute node when you trigger a snapshot.

However for the second point I don't remember right now where it's placed before being transfered, you'll find out easily with the qemu-img parameters.

Hope it helps,

Le 23/04/2015 22:00, Ross Lillie a �crit :
Hi!

I'm just trying to clarify my understanding of the image snapshot creation process.

When snapshotting a running instance, the compute node must have sufficient disk space for the image to be created prior to uploading to Glance. Is this correct?

Also, by default, during the snapshot creation on the compute node, where is the snapshot image being written? /tmp? /var/nova/instances?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Ross

--
Ross Lillie
Application Software & Architecture Group

View my calendar<https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=ross.lillie%40motorolasolutions.com&ctz=America/Chicago>

Leslie-Alexandre DENIS
Tel +33 6 83 88 34 01
Skype ladenis-dc4