[Openstack] [nova] Slow InstanceInfoCache updates while associating floating IPs in BUILD status

Hauke Bruno Wollentin hauke-bruno.wollentin at innovo-cloud.de
Tue Apr 21 14:28:08 UTC 2015

Hi there,

the following happens on our Icehouse (1:2014.1.3-0ubuntu2 @Ubuntu 14.04)
environment:

After launching an instance and associating a floating IP in BUILD / Spawning
state, I can see the floating IP with "nova list" and "nova show" + in the
nova.instance_info_caches table. But at the same time the instance switches to
ACTIVE state, the floating IP disappears in "nova list", "nova show" and
nova.instance_info_caches (the array looks like "floating_ips": []).

In Horizon the floating IP doesn't disappear.

From the neutron side everythings looks fine, because the floating IP _works_
(icmp, ssh etc.) + the output of "neutron  floatingip-list" is correct at any
time.

After some time - 10 to 30 minutes - the floating IP appears again in the nova
outputs and everything is fine.

I suppose a relation between that BUILD/Spawning State and the instance info
cache, because everything work like a charm if I associate the floating after
the launch process, once the instance is in ACTIVE state.

Does someone have some hint how to solve that behavior?

thanks,
hauke