[Openstack] Documentation for Neutron L3 / VXLAN with LinuxBridge...

Andreas Scheuring scheuran at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Apr 21 06:38:36 UTC 2015

Thiago,

>From an pure Openstack perspective there is no requirement to have vlans
configured when using linuxbridge with vxlan. You can put the vxlan
devices directly on your ethernet interface which will work perfectly.

The docs describe an example environment where folks use vlans in their
datacenter. Maybe Rackspace is recommending this, as it is a common
production setup, but it's definitively NOT a requirement! The Openstack
code doesn't care if the vxlan device is put directly on your eth0 or on
an eth0.20 vlan device.

--
Andreas
(irc: scheuran)