[Openstack] Rackspace abandons Open vSwitch ?

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Sat Sep 27 11:26:02 UTC 2014

On 27.09.2014 06:37, Jason Kölker wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 3:50 AM, Raghu Vadapalli <rvatspacket at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As per this news article listed below, Rackspace is abandoning Open vSwitch.
>> Is this where everyone else going  in general ?
>
> That conclusion is inaccurate. The entirety of the public cloud runs
> openvswitch for both public/servicenet connectivity as well as
> isolated tenant network features.The article is referring to the
> private cloud distribution no longer choosing to use the Neutron
> OpenVswitch plugin
> (https://github.com/openstack/neutron/tree/master/neutron/plugins/openvswitch)
> as it is being deprecated. The ML2 plugin replaces this and can use a
> variety of mechanisms including openvswitch.
>
> The article's conclusion that openvswitch is not ready for production
> and high-volume workloads is ludicrous. Versions 2.0+ perform very
> well with multithreading in the vswitchd process and megaflows in the
> datapath. However it is important to point out that datapath
> performance is very much related to the flows programmed. A poorly
> written flow set will result in bad performance. Tuning the flows and
> optimizing the ability for megaflow'ing is the key to high throughput.

That's the theory though and the article seems to talk about practical
problem Rackspace ran into with OVS so it would have been nice to learn
what specifically was the problem.

What are the alternatives though? As far as I know the regular linux
bridge lacks most of the features of OVS and these are the only to
options I've played with so far. Is the a third alternative out there
that they've switched to?

Regards,
  Dennis