[Openstack] [Nova] How does/will Openstack handle instance replicas?

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Sat Sep 27 07:32:38 UTC 2014

So, what you're looking for is basically the same old IT, but with an
API. I get that. For me, the point of this cloud thing is so that server
operators can make _reasonable_ guarantees, and application operators
can make use of them in an automated fashion.

If you start guaranteeing 4 and 5 nines for single VM's, you're right
back in the boat of spending a lot on server infrastructure even if your
users could live without it sometimes.

Compute hosts are going to go down. Networks are going to partition. It
is not actually expensive to deal with that at the application layer. In
fact when you know your business rules, you'll do a better job at doing
this efficiently than some blanket "replicate all the things" layer might.

I know, some clouds are just new ways to chop up these fancy 40 core
megaservers that everyone is shipping. I'm sure OpenStack can do it, but
I'm saying, I don't think OpenStack _should_ do it.

Excerpts from Adam Lawson's message of 2014-09-26 20:30:29 -0700: