[Openstack] Nova guest NUMA placement questions

Sean Toner placeoftheway at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 17:03:06 UTC 2014

On Friday, September 26, 2014 03:09:05 PM Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> > 1. What happens on an overcommit for the number of guest CPUs?
> >
> >    - For example, if I have a system with 2 sockets 4 cores each,
> >    what
> >
> > would happen if I have 2 guests, each one wanting 6 cores (assuming
> > this is not in violation of the hw:cpu_max_cores)?
> > 2. What happens on an overcommit on memory?
>
> The memory and CPU overcommit settings are still honoured when Nova
> does NUMA placement. eg if you have a host with 2 NUMA nodes, each
> with 4 physical CPUs and CPU overcommit ratio of x3, then Nova will
> treat this as being a system with 2 NUMA nodes, each with 12 CPUs.
> Similarly for memory overcommit.

So in the scenario you describe above, each guest configuration would be
constrained to one NUMA node (since the NUMA node would present itself
logically as having 12 CPUs)?

I was trying to think of a scenario where the guest configuration would
have to split up among more than one NUMA node.

Regards,
Sean Toner