[Openstack] understanding flows of ovs in openstack

Mengert, Robert Robert.Mengert at charter.com
Fri Sep 26 13:44:15 UTC 2014

Hey Srinivas,

I’m an OpenStack newbie but just started working through some of the same questions (experienced folks, please chime in if I’m spurting nonsense here).  I’ve found that reading up on Open vSwitch independently has been very helpful, their documentation can be found here<http://openvswitch.org/support/>.  Their FAQ<http://git.openvswitch.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=openvswitch;a=blob_plain;f=FAQ;hb=HEAD> is quite extensive but is a good read thus far (I’m only about halfway through it).

Some of the commands to view flows are well documented in the FAQ:

Q: Why are there so many different ways to dump flows?

A: Open vSwitch has two kinds of flows (see the previous question), so
   it has commands with different purposes for dumping each kind of
   flow:

      - "ovs-ofctl dump-flows <br>" dumps OpenFlow flows, excluding
        hidden flows.  This is the most commonly useful form of flow
        dump.  (Unlike the other commands, this should work with any
        OpenFlow switch, not just Open vSwitch.)

      - "ovs-appctl bridge/dump-flows <br>" dumps OpenFlow flows,
        including hidden flows.  This is occasionally useful for
        troubleshooting suspected issues with in-band control.

      - "ovs-dpctl dump-flows [dp]" dumps the datapath flow table
        entries for a Linux kernel-based datapath.  In Open vSwitch
        1.10 and later, ovs-vswitchd merges multiple switches into a
        single datapath, so it will show all the flows on all your
        kernel-based switches.  This command can occasionally be
        useful for debugging.

      - "ovs-appctl dpif/dump-flows <br>", new in Open vSwitch 1.10,
        dumps datapath flows for only the specified bridge, regardless
        of the type.

I haven’t gotten to how Open vSwitch populates the flows yet without the use of an SDN controller.  I’m a network guy by trade so I imagine there’s some type of learning at layer 2 happening similar to standard Ethernet switching.  Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,
Rob