[Openstack] Load balancer questions

Marcus White roastedseaweed.k at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 23:54:25 UTC 2014

Hello,
I had some basic questions on a load balancer we are considering for
Swift. Some of them might be pretty stupid and basic.

1. Assuming layer 7 is what would be used for openstack services like
keystone and Swift, not layer 4? I saw a layer 4 in front of a layer 7
in one of the diagrams, didnt really understand why that was needed.

2. Do typical installations use SSL termination within the load
balancer and then normal http sessions beyond that to, say the proxy
for Swift or keystone?

3. Is round robin at layer 7 is what is used?

4. This might be another stupid question, minus Horizon, you dont
really need the load balancer to do cookies or sessions or any
stickiness? For all else, it would just be load balancing round robin?
 With horizon, for the specific session, it would need to go to the
same endpoint in the back end?

5. Is anyone using geo-DNS or a global load balancer for Swift multi site?

TIA,
--MW