[Openstack] able to ping but not able to ssh to instance

Andreas Scheuring scheuran at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Sep 19 07:00:37 UTC 2014

Hi Srinivas,
in the past I had a similar issue while I was setting up openstack with
devstack. Not sure if that fits for your issue, as you're not using
devstack if I got it right.

The reason for this where the default security groups and rules config
of devstack. If you have a look at the this concept, you will realize
that there are two types of remotes you can define a rule for:
* CIDR or
* Security Group
The default rule for ingress IPv4 traffic was set to something like
"Allow INGRESS for all IPv4 traffic from remote Security Group default"
--> Only Ingress IPv4 traffic from other instances that have the
security group default where allowed. As my laptop is not member of the
security group default (of course, only instances can!) I was not able
to ssh or even ping from outside into the guest. (vice verca it was
working as egress is defined for CIDR 0.0.0.0/0) From guest to guest of
course ssh was working as both instances where member of the default
group.

So what I had to do is to add a new rule like
"allow Ingress SSH traffic from remote CIDR 0.0.0.0/0"
--> CIDR 0.0.0.0/0 means just everything :)

Hope that helps

Andreas
(irc: scheuran)

Andreas (irc: scheuran)