[Openstack] What is the best network architecture for Openstack

Mike Smith mismith at overstock.com
Thu Sep 18 14:49:07 UTC 2014

We run GFS2 for our shared instances volume and it has worked very well for us.  We leverage CLVM and fiber connected SAN LUNs on the backend in order to do that.  It's great for live migrations, etc.

I'm told that GFS2 performance degrades significantly once you mount the filesystem on more than about 16 nodes.   We are planning on moving to GlusterFS or Ceph in the future for a couple of reasons:

- Ceph and Cluster scale-out more linearly
- We want to use more commodity-type hardware in remote data centers
- We don't any want cluster/quorum related issues to take down the shared storage

Mike Smith
Principal Engineer, Website Systems
Overstock.com