[Openstack] Question about VXLAN support

BYEONG-GI KIM kimbyeonggi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 02:40:49 UTC 2014

Dear George

Thank you for the reply.

I'm a little confused about your reply.

Can be the same tag number assigned to different tenant? For example, I
assume the situation where a subnet 1 assigned tag number 1 and it belongs
to tenant A, and a subnet b is also assigned tag number 1 and it belongs to
tenant B. Or, should be the tag number different even if subnets belong to
different tenant?

If the later case, the tag number seems much more strictly limited, because
a tenant can have many subnet. If a subnet has 10 subnets, which means 10
tag numbers must be assigned, the openstack only create about 400 tenants.

Is the VXLAN network type in OpenStack really scalable comparing with VLAN
or GRE? Or does the current OpenStack just provide functionality to handle
VXLAN header?

Please let me know good example about VXLAN usage, which can provide
scalability for multi-tenant on OpenStack. I'd like to know whether more
than 100000 tenants could be handled by VXLAN on the latest OpenStack
implementation or not.

Best regards

Byeong-Gi KIM