[Openstack] Scheduler try and error with compute nodes in different subnets/physnet's

Chris contact at progbau.de
Tue Sep 16 03:26:09 UTC 2014

Hello,

We have a OpenStack setup with a large number of compute nodes spread in
different subnets which are represented as different physnet's in OpenStack.

When we start an instance we see that the scheduler choose a compute node
and tries to spawn the instance, then it sees its not in the right physnet
and choose a different compute node.

In our case this takes around 4 - 10 attempts. All this attempts counts for
the "scheduler_max_attempts" which default value is 3. We increase this
value to prevent errors, but it's still very inefficient especially in a
large environment.

Is there a way that the scheduler knows the physnet/subnet position of the
compute nodes before the instance tries to spawn?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings

Chris