[Openstack] Fun and games with Python Libs: cannot import name crypto

Gavin netmatters at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 09:49:15 UTC 2014

Hi All,

We are currently battling with a single issue on one of our Compute nodes.

We run Ubuntu 12.04 and deployed over a year ago using Grizzly.

We have since upgraded using the Ubuntu Cloud Archive to Havana and
more recently to Icehouse.

Although the upgrades were fun and kept us on our toes, they both were
successful, although we are still stuck with one last issue after the
Icehouse upgrade.

This particular issue only exists on one compute node, the same
compute node where we had installed an earlier version of Ceilometer,
from source.

A number of functions are not working on this particular compute node,
things like 'resize', 'boot from volume', etc.

We see the following errors in nova.log:-

"Can't access image 62aa0cca-c98f-4e24-8994-51def0848576: cannot
import name crypto"

"ERROR oslo.messaging._drivers.common [-] Returning exception cannot
import name crypto to caller"

Although using the Python cli we can import crypto from nova:-

Python 2.7.3 (default, Feb 27 2014, 19:58:35)
[GCC 4.6.3] on linux2

>>> from nova import crypto

We have compared the OS packages as well as the relevant Python mods
and versions thereof between all of our compute nodes and we cannot
find any differences.

It seems pretty clear that we have some sort of a conflict with the
Python libs on this host, unfortunately we just cannot see where.

Is there somewhere else that we should be looking, and is there
anything that we can do to resolve this issue without having to
re-install any packages ?

Nova Packages:-

ii  nova-api-metadata                 1:2014.1.2-0ubuntu1.1~cloud0
          OpenStack Compute - metadata API frontend
ii  nova-common                       1:2014.1.2-0ubuntu1.1~cloud0
          OpenStack Compute - common files
ii  nova-compute                      1:2014.1.2-0ubuntu1.1~cloud0
          OpenStack Compute - compute node base
ii  nova-compute-kvm                  1:2014.1.2-0ubuntu1.1~cloud0
          OpenStack Compute - compute node (KVM)
ii  nova-compute-libvirt              1:2014.1.2-0ubuntu1.1~cloud0
          OpenStack Compute - compute node libvirt support
ii  python-nova                       1:2014.1.2-0ubuntu1.1~cloud0
          OpenStack Compute Python libraries
ii  python-novaclient                 1:2.17.0-0ubuntu1~cloud0
          client library for OpenStack Compute API

Python Nova libs:-

nova==2014.1.2
python-novaclient==2.17.0

Thanks and Regards,