[Openstack] [nova] [policy] hypervisor list

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 17:18:37 UTC 2014

On 09/12/2014 04:08 AM, Abbass MAROUNI wrote:
> I'm looking to use it in a cinder filter, where the filter will scan the
> list of VMs on each host to find a suitable one.

OK, so not a normal user, but instead a service user (service being
cinder itself).

If this is a custom filter, I'd just go ahead and have the Cinder filter
to a custom query on the Nova database instead of using the
os-hypervisors API extension. I know that sounds like it's just adding
technical debt to your solution, but honestly, the os-hypervisors API
extension uses some questionable "queries" to construct its output.
Specifically, it queries all the Service objects, and then outputs the
first compute node matching the service_id in the compute_nodes table.
If there's >1 compute node on the host, the behaviour is entirely
undefined in the API extension.

Best,
-jay