[Openstack] Mirantis FUEL

Mike Scherbakov mscherbakov at mirantis.com
Tue Sep 9 21:05:26 UTC 2014

Hi Guillermo, Adam,
while itself Fuel is open source technology [1], it still uses OpenStack
packages provided by Mirantis by default. Packages contain some fixes which
are required to ensure HA and some other defects which are not yet merged
in upstream (but we are actively pushing those).

It is already possible to build RPM packages of vanilla OpenStack for Fuel.
Please see blueprint [1], and current status [2] on so-called deployment
openstack from master. The idea is that we will have open spec files for
packages, which are going to be used for both Mirantis OpenStack, and
upstream packages, and we will have packages built periodically, using
vanilla OpenStack.
The following use cases are going to be covered:

   1. If I want to build Fuel ISO with latest already built OpenStack
   vanilla packages, I just run "make iso"
   2. If I want to build Fuel ISO with already built packages, but use my
   own fork of Neutron and Nova (or something else), I can provide it as
   parameters to "make iso". See [3], this is already covered for RPM packages
   3. I want to build my Neutron (or other OpenStack project) package and
   make it available on already running Fuel Master node, so I can immediately
   start deployment of new envs with this new package
      - requires repo rebuild on master node, more complicated for Ubuntu
   4. I want to patch already running OpenStack environment with my version
   of Neutron (or other), doing it by OpenStack patching feature in Fuel (to
   be implemented in 5.1, current milestone).
      - In this case flow would look like: package build -> repo update ->
      patch environment in automated manner, delivering the code in minutes to
      the running environment

If #2 is already implemented for RPMs, then #1 requires OBS (package
builder) and other infrastructure to be setup. It is WIP, and expected to
be ready in a month or two.
#3 and #4 are going to take more.

I hope this helps. We will be announcing this stuff in more details soon in
openstack-dev with [Fuel] in subject: stay tuned.

[1] wiki.openstack.org/fuel
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/fuel/+spec/openstack-from-master
[3] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/fuel-build-rpms-from-anywhere

Thanks,

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 12:23 AM, Adam Lawson <alawson at aqorn.com> wrote:

> In a word, no. My experience has been that Fuel really is a Mirantis
> product. Their distro, their support. Folks used to be able to install
> RedHat RDO if they had access to a satellite server but no longer.
>
> But that's how a lot of packages are these days. Ubuntu JujJu, SUSE Cloud
> v4. RedHat RDO, VMware VIO, Each supported by their respective vendors.
> Other vendors package Openstack with their own optimizations (i.e. Piston,
> Cloudscaling, etc).
>
> Are you looking for a product that orchestrates a vanilla install of
> Openstack (not tied to a specific distro)? if so, your best bet is probably
> using something like Puppet, Chef, Salt, Ansible, etc.
>

> *Adam Lawson*
> *CEO, Principal Architect*
>
> AQORN, Inc.
> 427 North Tatnall Street
> Ste. 58461
> Wilmington, Delaware 19801-2230
> Toll-free: (844) 4-AQORN-NOW ext. 101
> International: +1 302-387-4660
> Direct: +1 916-246-2072
>

> On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 11:45 AM, Guillermo Alvarado <
> guillermoalvarado89 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I am doing some research about Fuel, but I have a big doubt and seems
>> there is not a clear answer in the documents I have been reading. I dont
>> want to waste my time doing an installation to discover after that Fuel
>> only supports The OPenstack Mirantis Distribution.
>>
>> So, the question is, Can I use Fuel and not use the Openstack
>> Distribution of Mirantis?
>>
>> Thanks!

Mike Scherbakov
#mihgen