[Openstack] KVM shows several processes for a single VM on the host

Narayanan, Krishnaprasad narayana at uni-mainz.de
Tue Sep 9 13:58:26 UTC 2014

Hallo all,

I have an OpenStack setup based on Havana with several compute nodes.  When I instantiate a virtual machine with 1 or more virtual cores, in the process list of the compute node, I am able to see more than 1 process associated to the same VM. The process list that I refer is the process which can be seen by running either top or htop.

Can I know the significance of other processes which are associated to the same VM? Are these child processes?

Regards,
Krishnaprasad