[Openstack] parallel (concurrent) volume attachment to server

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Mon Sep 8 09:38:38 UTC 2014

On Sat, Sep 06, 2014 at 06:37:31AM +0000, Ambadas Ramanna Adam wrote:
>    Hi All,
>

>    I have openstack installed on RHEL6.5 using RDO Quickstart. Everything is
>    now working except for a weird volume attachment issue.
>

>    I have a program which launches instance and then starts two threads. One
>    to create a volume (10GB) from snapshot and attach to server, the other to
>    create empty volume(1GB) and attach to server.
>
>    The issue is that response from attach volume call reports device names
>    for volumes different from those seen in the server. On server I am using
>    "fdisk -l" to find the size of volume. There have been situations when one
>    volume doesn't appear in server and when both volumes don't appear in
>    server, in spite of API call reporting successful attachment.

If you mean the device name in /dev is not what's specified when creating
the volume attachement, than I think that's a known issue - ultimately
cinder just doesn't have much control over how the host OS on the VM
enumerates new devices.

You're probably best using /dev/disk/by-id/virtio-<VolumeId> if that is
your issue, and ignoring the mountpoint option to the volume attachment
request.

Steve