[Openstack] Hep regarding attach cirrOS image for glance with openstack dashboard

Sadia Bashir 11msccssbashir at seecs.edu.pk
Wed Sep 3 14:59:27 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

I want to know how to attach cirrOS image for glance with openstack
dashboard: I tried following but it didn't work for me:

Downloaded CirrOS test image from the link:
https://launchpad.net/cirros/+download  and then followed commands from its
ReadMe file:

 * get some build dependencies:
   $ sudo apt-get -y install bison flex texinfo build-essential gettext
ncurses-dev unzip bzr qemu-kvm cvs quilt

 * bzr branch lp:cirros
 * cd cirros

 * download buildroot and setup environment
   $ br_ver="2012.05"
   $ mkdir -p ../download
   $ ln -snf ../download download
   $ ( cd download && wget
http://buildroot.uclibc.org/downloads/buildroot-${br_ver}.tar.gz )
   $ tar -xvf download/buildroot-${br_ver}.tar.gz
   $ ln -snf buildroot-${br_ver} buildroot

 * update ./bin/mkcabundle > src/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
   $ ./bin/mkcabundle > src/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt

 * apply any local cirros patches to buildroot
   ( cd buildroot && QUILT_PATCHES=$PWD/../patches-buildroot quilt push -a )

 * download the buildroot sources
   $ make ARCH=i386 br-source

 * Build buildroot for a given arch
   # ARCH should be set to 'i386', 'x86_64' or 'arm'
   $ make ARCH=i386 OUT_D=$PWD/output/i386

   This will do a full buildroot build, which will take a while. The output
   that CirrOS is interested in is output/i386/rootfs.tar.
   That file is the full buildroot filesystem, and is used as input for
   subsequent steps here.

 * Download a kernel to use.
   The kernel input to bundle must be in deb format. The ubuntu '-virtual'
   kernel is used as a starting point.

   $ kver="3.2.0-60.91";
   $ burl="https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+files/linux-image"
   $ for arch in i386 x86_64 arm; do
     xarch=$arch; flav="virtual"
     [ "$arch" = "x86_64" ] && xarch="amd64";
     [ "$arch" = "arm" ] && xarch="armel" && flav="omap"
     url="$burl-${kver%.*}-${flav}_${kver}_${xarch}.deb"
     wget "$url" -O download/${url##*/}
     ln -sf ${url##*/} download/kernel-${arch}.deb
   done

 * build disk images using bin/bundle
   $ sudo ./bin/bundle -v output/$ARCH/rootfs.tar download/kernel-$ARCH.deb
output/$ARCH/images

. All commands worked fine untill the last one for building disk images
using bin/bundle which is giving me following error:

preparing kernel overlay dpkg-deb: error: failed to read archive
`download/kernel-.deb': No such file or directory
failed to extract kernel to /tmp/.bundle.gVsIsm/kernel

Please tell me what steps should I follow to attach a cirrOS with the
openstack dashboard. Thank you!
--
Kind Regards,
*Sadia*