[Openstack] block migration using libvirt 1.2 copies backing file

Robert van Leeuwen Robert.vanLeeuwen at spilgames.com
Wed Oct 29 14:56:50 UTC 2014

> I've  just upgraded to libvirt 1.2 and live migration using (libvirt to
> copy files rather than shared storage) now taking longer.  This seems to
> be due to it copying the backing files as well as the instances' overlay
> files.  Is there anyway to make it revert to the previous behavior and
> only copy the overlay files?

Not really helpful for you in any way but:
If I read this correctly this would actually fix one of the major issues I currently have with block-migrations:
When the original image (or snapshot!) where the image was booted from no longer exists migrations will fail.

Maybe this can help fix this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1270825

Cheers,
Robert van Leeuwen