[Openstack] Messaging reliability/durability expectations

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Thu Oct 16 18:06:58 UTC 2014

I also thought we acked then processed messages in the applications (nova,
cinder...),

This means the applications can crash, and the message can then be lost
(and in the cast case, the message is gone, in the call case hopefully the
caller times out, although if the caller also crashes, all bets are off...)

Instead of process then ack (and ensure that things are idempotent if a
redelivery is triggered).

IMHO I'd rather fix the idempotent and state problem, and deal with
redelivery, although I think there are historical decision at work here
that decided against this (?). Each way though has its own set of
tradeoffs, so it really starts to become an application decision (aka
oslo.messaging is not at the right level to determine this).