[Openstack] ml2 vlan provider network help

Brandon Sawyers brandor5 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 15:00:13 UTC 2014

Hello everyone:

I believe that I have a correct config for using vlan provider networks in
place (Thanks Thiago!), but my instances fail to ping other systems on the
vlan. A quick description of what I'm trying to accomplish: My team does
not control the network, so we wish to use the in place vlans in our
instances for access to the world. We can't use dhcp on these vlans either.

Here are the steps I've taken to attempt to troubleshoot this issue:

-- Plumbed vlans on controller (neutron lives here) and computes. Using
tcpdump I can see the vlan traffic from both nodes.
-- Create instance with a single interface on the vlan provider network.
-- Create appropriate security rules to allow ping/ssh.
-- Start ping from instance to external host on the vlan.
-- Start ping from external host to my instance.
-- Using tcpdump listen at the following locations... (tcpdump -qnni
<interface> host <instance_ip> or host <external_server_ip>)
--- tap interface for the guest: I see arps from my guest requesting the
external server mac.
--- source bridge of ovs created bridge for guest: I see arps from my guest
requesting the external server mac.
--- br-int integration bridge: I see arps from my guest requesting the
external server mac.
--- int-br-eth3 (part of veth pair to connect to actual bridge): I see arps
from both my instance and the external host requesting mac addresses for
each other.
--- phy-br-eth3 (part of veth pair to connect to actual bridge): I see arps
from both my instance and the external host requesting mac addresses for
each other.
--- br-eth3 (actual bridge I created for openstack use): I see arps from
both my instance and the external host requesting mac addresses for each
other.
--- eth3:  I see arps from both my instance and the external host
requesting mac addresses for each other.
-- Nothing in the logs look incorrect.
-- GRE tunnels for private networks work without issue.

I've posted some output from my setup at http://pastebin.com/Mf2qMTSM.

Thanks for the help!
Brandon