[Openstack] Centos 7 root pasword

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at redhat.com
Tue Oct 14 13:17:09 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 01:24:16PM +0530, Mridhul Pax wrote:
> Is there a way I can pass an SSH-KEY via the webVNC  ? At this point
> of time, that is the only login option available for me as the
> servers are not picking any IP address.

It sounds as if there are either problems with your metadata service,
or you are using an image that does not have the appropriate support
for fetching openstack metadata.  As a diagnostic step, you could boot
a Cirros image
(http://docs.openstack.org/image-guide/content/ch_obtaining_images.html)
and boot that; the Cirros image permits password login on the console
and can be useful for diagnosing this sort of problem.

If you need to work with your existing image: Using the VNC console,
you can boot the systems into single-user mode (or use init=/bin/bash
if single-user mode also requires a password), at which point you can
perform diagnostics.  Rather than setting a root password, which may
not work correctly in this environment, you can enable the debug shell
on virtual terminal 9:

    ln -s /usr/lib/systemd/system/debug-shell.service \
      /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/debug-shell.service

Reboot your system and a root shell will be available on tty9
(alt-F9).

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> | larsks @ {freenode,twitter,github}
Cloud Engineering / OpenStack          | http://blog.oddbit.com/