[Openstack] How to make DevStack install OpenStack with Neutron?

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 7 06:44:55 UTC 2014

Mark Kirkwood <mark.kirkwood at catalyst.net.nz> wrote on 10/07/2014 02:23:36
AM:

> I think why this is not documented is the usual use-case for devstack is

> development setups where real external ips for the VMs is usually not a
> point of interest.
>
> For instance I never need this...I do sometimes want the VMs to be able
> to access the internet, and that is pretty easy:
>
> $ sudo sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
> $ sudo iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
>
> For access the other way, yes it's more complex. As others have posted,
> you need real ip ranges available in your external network and
> (probably) an additional nic in your test box that can be
> designated/mapped as br-ex
> so that the various routers/gateways in the neutron setup use it.

Thanks, Mark.  As I mentioned in my original post, I have a block of IP
addresses that I can use as I see fit --- I have a subnet that I control.
I do not see why an additional NIC on the host would be needed, it already
has a NIC connected to a subnet that I control (I am trying to make it
easy here).

Thanks,
Mike