[Openstack] OpenStack Regions

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Thu Nov 27 19:03:28 UTC 2014

> On Nov 27, 2014, at 1:31 AM, Chris <contact at progbau.de> wrote:
>
> Hello
>
> I have a question regarding regions. We have the initial “RegionOne” in our current setup and want to and a second one “RegionTwo”.
> It seems like the shared services between different regions are Keystone and Horizon. The separate services for each region includes Nova, Neutron etc. Please correct me here if I’m wrong.

Not wrong, but I'd like to add another example that's slightly different. You can deploy one Swift cluster that spans a wide geography. You might have sets of proxy servers that handle the API requests in each region. You can put them behind one domain and use some geo-dns routing to get to the "local" Swift region. I know several deployers who are doing that in production today. eg swift.example.com routes you to the closest set of proxy servers.

One other thing you could do is also expose the individual sets of proxy servers in the Swift cluster explicitly. eg you could also have east.swift.example.com and west.swift.example.com and those would always go to a specific Swift region.

Mostly it's a question of what you want to expose to the user. One endpoint that goes to the closest? Explicit endpoints for each region? Both?

In all the examples above, it would be one Swift cluster with data durably stored across all regions. Not multiple clusters.

For some background, check out https://swiftstack.com/blog/2012/09/16/globally-distributed-openstack-swift-cluster/

--John