[Openstack] Force use password authentication instead of public key when access VM

Du Jun dj199008 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 07:02:13 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I have imported a key pair to nova and used an ubuntu cloud-image(qcow2
file format) to boot an instance. Now, I can access the instance via public
key like:

ssh -i ceilometer-dev.pem ubuntu at 10.254.1.3

But, I don't feel very convenient to use public key every time. So, how to
enable password login? My work steps are:

1, use public key to login my instance.

ssh -i ceilometer-dev.pem ubuntu at 10.254.1.3

2, modify the sshd configure file(/etc/ssh/sshd_config) and set:

PubkeyAuthentication yes

ChallengeResponseAuthentication yes

PasswordAuthentication yes

3, restart sshd service:

/etc/init.d/ssh restart

However, I still need public key to access instance and get failed when I
attempt to login via password:

vcap at ubuntu:/home$ ssh ubuntu at 10.254.1.3
Permission denied (publickey).

Is there anything I have missed? Any help will be appreciated!

--
Reagrds,
Frank