[Openstack] (Icehouse) ISO boot issue

Tamas Balogh tamasb at nikhef.nl
Thu Nov 20 16:18:32 UTC 2014

Hi, all!

I'm trying to set up a VM installation using an ISO, but I am not able
to boot a VM with a cdrom and a disk. Basically, what I want to do is
outlines here https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/BootFromISO .

Since I'm running on XenServer I made sure that an SR with the
appropriate flags exists (type:iso , i18n-key: local-storage-iso), like
shown here :
http://docs.openstack.org/juno/config-reference/content/introduction-to-xen.html#xenapi-boot-from-iso

This is what happens when I'm trying to boot an instance:

glance image-list

+--------------------------------------+-------------------+-----------
--+------------------+------------+--------+
| ID                                   | Name              | Disk Format
| Container Format | Size       | Status |
+--------------------------------------+-------------------+-------------
+------------------+------------+--------+
| c9bb3ca9-b0e3-437d-a64f-6015265ed382 | CentOS-6-boot-iso | iso
 | bare             | 232783872  | active |

nova boot --flavor m1.small --image CentOS-6-boot-iso --nic
net-id=ebaa400e-bb8a-4318-aedb-778b46c78a88 --security-group default
--key-name demo-key centos6-iso-instance

See attached compute.log for the error

It seems like it's trying to delete a VBD but fails because it's still
plugged into the nova-compute node. I verified it and I found it created
and plugged just as the error suggested.

I came across an similar earlier bug report regarding plugging and
unplugging VBDs which looks like it's fixed, or is it?

Any ideas?