[Openstack] nova list --all-tenants fails, nova sends bad request to neutron

Teun Docter teun.docter at brightcomputing.com
Tue Nov 18 14:27:25 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'm struggling with what seems like a nova problem on an Icehouse RDO
deployment. As an admin, I wanted to list all instances, but nova gives
me an error:

# nova list --all-tenants
ERROR: The server has either erred or is incapable of performing the
requested operation. (HTTP 500) (Request-ID:
req-9564f90e-e3db-4b2d-90a8-16bc7e7408c2)

Upon investigating the debug logs, I noticed that nova seems to be
making a request to neutron, but gets a status 400. It seems that nova
includes the device_id's of all instances in the request to neutron.

It looks something like this in the nova logs:

OpenStack[nova:31337] DEBUG: REQ: curl -i
http://master:9696//v2.0/ports.json?device_id=fab4dac9-2de5-478b-be92-2a9f8694e6f6&device_id=5b87a0f4-2d6e-4161-bc5a-0f31a373e893&
<~150 more ID's here>  -X GET -H "X-Auth-Token: <token data>" -H
OpenStack[nova:31337] DEBUG: RESP:{'status': '400', 'connection':
'close', 'content-type': 'text/html', 'cache-control': 'no-cache'}
Your browser sent an invalid request.
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/neutronclient/common/utils.py:179

Things have been working fine with smaller amounts of instances on the
system.

What I've found is that the same error occurs when I use the python nova
API and don't specify pagination. With a pagination limit of 80, the
error does not occur. However with a limit of 81 it does cause this
error. I'm wondering where this limit of 80 instances comes from though.

All of the above leads me to believe this might be a bug in nova that
causes it to generate a bad (to large?) request to neutron? Or does this
point to some sort of configuration issue?

Best regards,
Teun Docter