[Openstack] cinder and EMC VNX storage

mad Engineer themadengin33r at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 17:44:12 UTC 2014

Hi all,
        Currently i am using icehouse release with KVM compute nodes and a
server with *cinder-volume* installed as my storage server,(it uses iscsi
to export lvm disks to compute nodes.)
Now i got a chance to TEST EMC storage ie EMC VNX for couple of days which
is currently used by our vmware cluster .

but as per icehouse documentation

*You must activate VNX Snapshot and Thin Provisioning license for the
array.*

But i don't have separate license for this and i am sure vmware was using
this array without any issue (not managed by openstack)

1.Do i really need this license to make it work with cinder (if i don't
care about thin provisioning).
2.Isn't it possible to use qcow2 image format with EMC VNX and use its
native snapshot feature?
3.Do i still need to keep a separate node with cinder-volume installed or
can my controller node with cinder-api running can directly communicate?

i am not aware whether there is any separate mailing list for cinder

Thanks