[Openstack] external dns server for instances-"nova-network"

Yuriy Brodskiy ybrodskiy at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 19:22:15 UTC 2014

For our use-case we only add fip records into external DNS.
Whenever a floating ip(fip) is created via neutron, a DNS domain for the
tenant will be created if doesn't exist and a DNS 'A' record will be
created in the tenant dns domain.

https://github.com/Symantec/neutron-designate-fip-plugin

To make sure that VM's have correct domain information, we populate
metadata with designate information of the tenant and that is used via
cloud-init.

https://github.com/Symantec/nova-designate-dns-plugin

On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 10:25 AM, mad Engineer <themadengin33r at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>     Is there any way to use external dns server for instances?
> All instances are currently getting instance name as hostname and with in
> openstack network its working and i manually add entries in corporate BIND
> to make it work for outside openstack.
>
> Is it possible to use an an external DNS server as nameserver for all
> instance and automatically add hostnames to that server.
>
> Thanks

yuriy brodskiy