[Openstack] Complete Newb Questions.

Md. Maruful Hassan mrf.mnm at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 05:36:44 UTC 2014

Hello Ken

As I was on the same boat as you, I'd like to share my thoughts with you

1. Its really not surprising that there are few books on OpenStack.
Openstack is going under rapid development. It takes a author
to dive into all the features of a particular version of OpenStack and
write about it. And by the time the book gets published
the content becomes outdated due to the faster development of OpenStack.
Cutting edge/Bleeding edge, Openstack is exactly
that is. The same goes for numerous 'how to' guides available on the
internet. They become outdated very quickly. So, you have to
do a lot of study and basically connect the dots. Expect a fair degree of
cuts and tears/frustrating moments as you go through
the learning process.

2. DevStack is good for home/lab install. But before going with that, I
would have a look at http://docs.openstack.org/ understand various
components of Openstack, how they work together etc etc and then get hands
dirty.

I went with RDO and had success standing up a 3 node setup (on single
physical machine, 3VM running under KVM ). You
can have a look at it as well (https://openstack.redhat.com/Main_Page).

hope this helps.

Best wishes on your journey.

regards,