[Openstack] Integration with OpenStack

Avi Tal avi3tal at gmail.com
Sat May 31 08:29:12 UTC 2014

Hi all,
I am designing a "Dynamic Resource Allocation" for my company lab
resources. The focal point of this solution should be OpenStack.

*Background:*
The testing and dev environments are built out of multiple nodes. Servers,
clients. Some could be virtual but must support also bare-metal.
The goal is to manage the resource pool (both virtual and physical)
dynamically. Let the automated test request for specific environment by
posting the environment details and release it back to pool at the end of
the test.

*Example:*

*Request:*
client:
    count: 2
    type: virtual
    os: fedora 20
    memory: 2GB
    cpu: 4
    disk: >200G
    packages: ['puppet', 'fio', 'python-2.7']
client:
    count: 4
    type: physical
    os: centos-6.5
    memory: 2GB
    cpu: 4
    disk: >100G flash
    packages: ['puppet', 'fio', 'python-2.7']
server:
    count: 2
    type: physical
    os: centos-6.5
    build: 'b10'

*Response:*
clients:
    client1.domain.com:
        address: 1.1.1.1
        user: root
        password: 123456
        os: fedora-20
    client2.domain.com:
        address: 2.2.2.2
        user: root
        password: 123456
        os: fedora-20
    client3.domain.com:
        address: 3.3.3.3
        user: root
        password: 123456
        os: centos-6.5
servers:
    server1.domain.com:
        address: 10.10.10.10
        user: root
        password: 123456
    server2.domain.com:
        address: 1.1.1.1
        user: root
        password: 123456

*I could think of two solutions:*
1. develop my own layer and use OpenStack just for the provisioning layer
using the API and Foreman for bare-metal, puppet interface, lab services
configuration (dns, dhcp, pxe etc') and searching engine via facts across
entire resources (virtual and physical).
2. develop an OpenStack component that integrate with keystone, nova,
horizon and implement my own business layer.

*My questions:*
1. Is there any way of actually implement my second solution? any
documentation for writing new OpenStack component?
2. I think that my scenario is common and this solution could be helping
many other companies. Is there any OpenStack project that solve it?
3. How can i offer it to OpenStack as a new component?

I would be thankful for any help and comments

Thanks

--
*Avi Tal*