[Openstack] How to configure Neutron Networking from GRE to VXLAN?

BYEONG-GI KIM kimbyeonggi at gmail.com
Wed May 28 02:32:51 UTC 2014

Hello.

I followed the installation guide for OpenStack Icehouse, and the
installation was completed successfully; Two Instances could ping with each
other through GRE tunnel.

After that, I've tried to modify the Networking from GRE to VXLAN by
following the Configuration Reference described
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/config-reference/content/networking-plugin-ml2_vxlan.html

Although I modified all the parameters like "type_drivers",
"tenant_network_types", "vni_ranges", etc. and restart all the related
services on the every nodes, the VXLAN network doesn't work fine at all.
First, I could not add an additional network on dashboard. Second, the
br-tun on both Compute Node and Network Node did not have a port for VXLAN.

I read the configuration guide at
http://kimizhang.wordpress.com/2014/04/01/how-ml2vxlan-works/, and the
guide describes /etc/neutron/plugins/openvswitch/ovs-neutron_plugin.ini
also needs to be modified. But I didn't because the Installation Guide for
OpenStack Icehouse didn't mention such things even though the guides shows
how to set up the GRE as default.

Should I modify  /etc/neutron/plugins/openvswitch/ovs-neutron_plugin.ini?
Or what I need to do?

Best regards

Byeong-Gi KIM