[Openstack] Question about debugging nova-network with single host network/ flatdhcpmanager

Zhi-Wei Lu zwlu at ucdavis.edu
Mon May 26 21:54:31 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I have been experimenting with openstack for a while (on and off) using
a few different network options, I have tried neutron network,
nova-network multi_host, and nova-network with a single network host.

I have tried to run the nova-network (single network host) on one of the
compute nodes, it worked somewhat. I finally tried to make the
controller as the single nova-network host, but I encountered more
issues than when I was running the nova-network on a compute node. I
referenced one of the nice articles from

http://www.mirantis.com/blog/openstack-networking-single-host-flatdhcpmanager/

The controller is running CentOS 6.5.  When I started the nova-network,
the network script would apply iptables rules for 169.254.169.254, but
it didn't even tried to configure br100, and starting dnsmasq, the
network initialization side step a few tasks. I ran the nova-network
with --debug flag, I didn't see those initialization steps being started
at all.  I would like to hear some debugging tips to track down the root
of the problem.

The controller has been an experimental server for a few other projects,
therefore, some of the system settings might prevent nova-network from
start some of the initialization process.  I would like to get to the
bottom of the issue, I could post more configuration settings if
needed.  During my experimentation, I have encountered with a numbers of
problems for which I were able to find answers online, debugging the
openstack issue helped my understanding of openstack much better, thus
help resolving problem quickly once we start a real production openstack
environment.

Thank you.

--
Zhi-Wei Lu