[Openstack] Cut over from lvm_type=XXX to volume_clear=XXX

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Sun May 25 00:24:01 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> This is a follow up to the recent question on wiping.
>
> Previous versions of OpenStack used 'lvm_type=default' to signify a
> wipe. Current versions use 'volume_clear=zero' or
> 'volume_clear=shred'.
>
> For current versions, 'zero' is a single pass and writes 0's; while
> 'shred' uses three passes of predetermined bit patterns.
>
> When did the change occur from lvm_type to volume_clear?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jeff

​Hi Jeff,
I think there's some confusion, lvm_type is not explicitly for setting
secure delete.  The default lvm_type is still thick provisioned, and
further in that case the default is still to do a zero of the entire
volume.  None of the previous default behavior has changed.

What has changed however is that ability to specify different types of
delete or none at all and that was around the Grizzly time-frame.

To reiterate, lvm_type has no direct link to the secure delete or
volume_clear option.  Using thin however implicitly sets volume_clear=none
as it makes no sense in that context.

Hope that helps, sorry for any confusion and feel free to hit me up on IRC
if you still have questions.​