[Openstack] IceHouse Neutron L3 - Connectivity issue

Martinx - ジェームズ thiagocmartinsc at gmail.com
Wed May 21 04:29:45 UTC 2014

Cool!

 The problem seems to be:

 GRE (VXLAN too?) tunnel of Data Network (between Instance and its
namespace router) doesn't work with default mtu=1500.       ???

 It was fixed and there are two solutions for this problem (as I'm
seeing... I didn't patched ovs_lib.py), as follows:

 1- (Easier / + generic?) Lower the mtu to 1450 for Instances or;

 2- (Recommended?) Enable Jumbo Frames for Data Network (your IPv4 subnet
where OVS GRE/VXLAN tunnel flows).

 Both solutions have fixed the issue for me. I'm sticking with Jumbo
Frames, problem fixed (plus performance boost? I'll test it more)...

About 1- To lower the mtu for the Instances, add the following line to
dhcp_agent.ini:

---
dnsmasq_config_file = /etc/neutron/dnsmasq-neutron.conf
---

 And write dnsmasq-neutron.conf with:

---
dhcp-option-force=26,1450
---

 About 2- Enable Jumbo Frames on interfaces X / Y (of "Data Network" /
"local_ip var subnet")...

 I think that the IceHouse install document should add a note about this
issue, maybe here:
http://docs.openstack.org/icehouse/install-guide/install/apt/content/neutron-ml2-network-node.html

Should I fill a documentation bug?

Thanks!