[Openstack] rdo havana to icehouse: instances stuck in 'resized or migrated'

Dimitri Maziuk dmaziuk at bmrb.wisc.edu
Fri May 16 21:45:26 UTC 2014

Hi all.

Upgrading centos 6/rdo from havana to icehouse: I've updated all
services on the controller as per the fine manual, then updated one of
the 3 compute nodes.

Now I'm trying to migrate the (shut off) instances from havana compute
node to the icehouse compute node and they get stuck in
"resize_migrated". On the first one I "reset-state --active", renamed
/var/lib/nova/instances/<uuid>_resize and was able to issue a 'hard
reboot' from the dashboard.

Now I have the 2nd one stuck in the same state. I restarted compute with
debug on on the target (icehouse) compute node, there's nothing
interesting there so the problem is somewhere else. In fact, it looks
like all it is is something isn't popping up the "confirm resize" button
in the dashboard -- /var/lib/nova/instances is nfs-mounted so there's no
actual data resizing/migration necessary.

I really don't want to go through the reset-state/rename dir dance for
every instance I have.

Any suggestions? Anyone done the havana-to-icehouse dance with 2 compute
nodes?

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin