[Openstack] instances stuck in "powering on"

Dimitri Maziuk dmaziuk at bmrb.wisc.edu
Mon May 12 18:10:05 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I moved my bootable volumes to better storage (nfs backend) by copying
files and editing provider_location in cinder db. The instances were
shut off for that, of course.

Now when I power them on via dashboard, some (not all) of them get stuck
in "powering on" for as long as I care to wait. On the compute host
compute.log is full of

> TRACE nova.openstack.common.rpc.amqp
> task run WARNING nova.openstack.common.loopingcall [-] outlasted interval by 50.018454 sec
> ERROR nova.openstack.common.periodic_task [-] Error during ComputeManager._sync_power_states: Timeout while waiting on RPC response - topic: "conductor", RPC method: "object_class_action" info: "<unknown>"

-- completely unhelpful since I'm getting tons of them during normal
operation, too.

"virsh start instance-XXXXXX" works, "nova reset-state --active" clears
up the "powering-on" but doesn't mark it "Running" regardless of
instance's power state.

So it looks like dashboard can't talk to the compute. Any hints as to
why & where to look?

(centos 6.current, rdo, havana, simple stupid setup w/ noop nova
networking and bootable volumes.)

TIA
--
Dimitri Maziuk