[Openstack] CPU Flags with KVM/OpenStack

Erich Weiler weiler at soe.ucsc.edu
Wed May 7 16:36:45 UTC 2014

Hey Y'all,

I've got a working installation of OpenStack Icehouse running on CentOS
6.5, works great.  However, one of my image types, a FreeBSD 10.0 image,
is not playing well with a CPU flag and KVM on my compute nodes.  What I
need to do is disable a CPU feature in the KVM libvirt.xml files on the
compute node, or rather, have OpenStack Nova do that for me when I
launch the FreeBSD image specifically.  Is there any way I can easily do
that?  I'm needing to disable the xsave feature for Intel processors, if
that makes any difference.  But I suspect the solution would be more
generic, like, "do this to tweak xml on image deployment" or something...?

Any hints greatly appreciated!!

cheers,
erich