[Openstack] [Neutron-agent] Some instances can not ping on mass reboot

Chu Duc Minh chu.ducminh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 10:23:03 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 4:36 PM, Robert van Leeuwen <
Robert.vanLeeuwen at spilgames.com> wrote:

>   > To fix this, i must run "*service neutron-plugin-openvswitch-agent
> restart*" on compute-nodes that these
> > instances is hosted.
> > After restart neutron-agent, i can ping these instances normally.
>
> I cannot help you with a "fix" but this is what I would do:
>
> 1) Check if there is a proper bug report which describes your issue
> (ways to reproduce and what EXACTLY goes wrong, without this it is hard
> for devs to fix it)

I already wrote it. The way to reproduce is:
# for server_id in `nova list | grep ACTIVE | awk '{print $2}'`;do echo
$server_id ; nova reboot --hard $server_id; done
or
# for server_id in `nova list | grep ACTIVE | awk '{print $2}'`;do echo
$server_id ; nova reboot $server_id; done
Indeed, you don't need to reboot all instance, just reboot some instances
on the same host simultaneuously. And this error will occurs.

> 2 ) If there is no bug report make sure it is not something wrong with
> your own setup.
> My first guess would be that the flows to allow traffic are not created.
> (check with "ovs-ofctl dump-flows $bridge)
> Now find out why:
> I would enable (debug) logging on the neutron-agent.
> Trigger the issue and look through the neutron logs to see if there is
> anything useful in there.

I know the reason is relate to flows. Sorry for not enough info. With
instance reboot & ping success, i see the line like this in
/var/log/neutron/openvswitch-agent.log:
*'sudo', '/usr/bin/neutron-rootwrap', '/etc/neutron/rootwrap.conf',
'ovs-vsctl', '--timeout=2', 'set', 'Port', 'tapdc13282e-b 3', 'tag=2'*

*But with instances i can not ping, i don't see the line in
openvswitch-agent.log *

Best Regards,