[Openstack] Cinder : Import volume from existing RBD image?

Darren Birkett darren.birkett at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 11:11:30 UTC 2014

If you're trying to do what I think you are, which is to create a bootable
cinder volume (in rbd) using a glance image (in rbd), you can enable the
following in glance-api.conf:

show_image_direct_url = True

Enabling this will allow cinder to 'see' that the glance image is also in
rbd, and it will essentially make a fast copy-on-write clone of the glance
image into your cinder volume (effectively it's just an rbd clone from one
pool, images, into another, volumes).

- Darren