[Openstack] Getting novnc through NAT

Kodiak Firesmith kfiresmith at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 19:48:40 UTC 2014

Hi Folks,
I've got a basic all-in-one Packstack Havana installation behind two
routers at home.  I can't get novnc console access through the 1st router
successfully and am wondering if there are more NAT rules that need to be
in place beyond what I have currently which is just TCP port 6080 inward.

Here's the current layout:

[WWW]

[Fios Modem/Router]

Me @ 192.168.1.2

[MikroTik CRS125 @ 192.168.1.50]

[Openstack @ 10.0.10.55]

My NAT rule for HTTP is working fine, I can log in, I just can't open
instance consoles.

The default Packstack rule is in place for novnc:
ACCEPT     tcp  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           multiport
dports 6080 /* 001 novncproxy incoming */

2   chain=dstnat action=dst-nat to-addresses=10.0.10.55 to-ports=80
protocol=tcp dst-address=192.168.1.50
     dst-port=80

 3   chain=dstnat action=dst-nat to-addresses=10.0.10.55 to-ports=6080
protocol=tcp dst-address=192.168.1.50
     dst-port=6080

Any ideas? Maybe there are vnc callbacks that I'm not getting through?
Maybe an access control in the novnc setup?

Novnc is working on the same network segment just fine which is why I think
this is a NAT issue.

Thanks!
- Kodiak