[Openstack] [Nova] Proposed removal of the PowerVM driver

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat Mar 22 01:52:19 UTC 2014

On 3/21/2014 6:45 PM, Florian Chazal wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Better late that never:
>
> Since few weeks we are testing IBM Power System R2 server and we were
> evaluating the capability to go on a larger scale.  We are lacking of
> information regarding PowerKVM status and PowerVC so we began to try
> Havana + powerVM:
> The launch of a VM went well (except an issue with glance which does not
> gzip the image ... troubleshoot in process) but how does it works
> regarding the network ? What type of network configuration it has been
> tested with ?
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Florian CHAZAL
>

> On 25 November 2013 08:26, Matt Riedemann <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
> <mailto:mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Monday, November 25, 2013 10:14:00 AM, Anne Gentle wrote:
>

>         On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 5:10 AM, Thierry Carrez
>         <thierry at openstack.org <mailto:thierry at openstack.org>
>         <mailto:thierry at openstack.org <mailto:thierry at openstack.org>>__>
>         wrote:
>
>              Chuck Short wrote:
>              > On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Michael Still
>              <mikal at stillhq.com <mailto:mikal at stillhq.com>
>         <mailto:mikal at stillhq.com <mailto:mikal at stillhq.com>>
>              > <mailto:mikal at stillhq.com <mailto:mikal at stillhq.com>
>         <mailto:mikal at stillhq.com <mailto:mikal at stillhq.com>>>> wrote:
>              >
>              >>     So, a few questions...
>              >>
>              >>      - If there are no users shall we remove it from
>         Havana and
>              Grizzly as
>              >>     well, or does that violate our stability principles
>         too much?
>              >
>              >
>              > Speaking with my stable maintainers hat on I would personally
>              NACK this
>              > since
>              > it doesnt meet the standard of a stable maintenance
>         requirement,
>              imho.
>
>              It definitely doesn't meet our stable maintenance rules. We
>         want
>              people
>              to be able to safely upgrade to the latest stable/* when
>         they are
>              users
>              of the release. We don't add new features, removing them
>         would be even
>              worse.
>
>              >>      - If we don't remove the code from stable, what about
>              removing all
>              >>     references from the stable docs and putting in a warning
>              saying that
>              >>     powervm is a dead end instead? I want to minimise
>         confusion
>              on the
>              >>     part of people deploying stable releases.
>              >
>              > This would be okay in my opinion.

> [...]

Hi Florian,

Some details on what testing we did internally with running Tempest:

- Controller/Compute Node: RHEL 6.3-6.5, Fedora 19 ppc64
- Hypervisor: PowerVM IVM 2.2.2.0+
- Platform: P7 and P7+ Racks, Blades, ITEs
- Networking:
	- Neutron + Open vSwitch: Flat, VLAN - IPv4 only
	- nova-network: Flat
- Cinder Storage Driver: Storwize/SVC 6.4.1/6.4.2 for FC

There are some teams here working on getting a PowerVC nova virt driver
into Stackforge.

Matt Riedemann